Wednesday, 16 March 2011

GameSmith going away :(

GameSmith is the online gaming adjunct to Freeverse. Without it, the value of many of the older Freeverse games, mostly card games such as 3D Spades and 3D Hearts, is mostly lost. It has a fairly simple and straightforward interface, but has a few bugs and doesn't do uPNP or NAT-PMP so it is hard for a novice to host a game without configuring their home router manually.

I started using it many years ago because the site I was using, zone.com, didn't (and doesn't) support anything but Windows and there are many rude folks on it.  ("rude" --- quits when losing a game)
*With heavy hearts, GameSmith will be sent riding into the sunset this coming summer. We thank everyone for their years of support, and we hope GameSmith will return someday in a new modern form.
I hope a modern form doesn't include a lot of flashy graphics and sound.  Focus on the game.  ;)  3D Bridge Deluxe, soon to be not so Deluxe?

Update:  Roote has been so kind set up a chat site to aid in setting up "local" games--games without the aid of Gamesmith.  Yeah!  http://www.chatzy.com/fvgames

8 comments:

  1. hey sardo, what is roote's email address at chatzy so that I can ask him for the password?
    thanks,
    charles

    cmilton dagwood halupki (spades pitch hearts)
    c m u l i s t s at s u r f b e s t d o t n e t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't know.

    Does signing up in the room not work?

    http://www.chatzy.com/fvgames

    BTW, how will we know WHEN gamesmith returns (in a better form)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OIC, well I don't know it. I haven't tried using it since the fiasco after which Roote changed things up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sardo_ can't get into chatzy fv games either. Password that roote gave me doesn't work! Poor onion left out in the cold! scallion@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Allium! Perhaps one of them will visit here one day and let us know Roote's email.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya,

    If you are interested in playing FV games, send me an Email at chatzyfvgames@gmail.com and I will send you either an invite or just the room password.

    Roote

    ReplyDelete
  7. Btw, we got the games to work on Windows PC's for local hosting: http://vimeo.com/29512638

    So now PC players can play over the Internet.

    Roote

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is an old, and possibly defunct post, but I thought I'd give this a try: I haven't played 3d Pitch in eons. Tonight, I decided to give it a go, and realized GameSmith is now gone. I wanted to play with a friend, online - How do I go about doing so, now? Roote, I'm sending you an email .. Any other insights would be great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete